Senza Censura N.4 - Marzo 2001
"RESTRUCTURING AND CONTROL" SECTION
The new anti-terrorism law is getting prepared by the greek government
In Greece there have already been anti-terrorism laws. The first was in 1980 and the other in 1990. In a sort period of time, both were abolished before they got down to practice, since there were voted by the right-wing party governments and then they were confronted by the vast majority of the left wing parties and by PASOK as well. For the first time, now , the PASOK government is about to pass an "anti terrorism" law. That indicates, not just the political changes that have taken place in Greece - as far as the political forces are concerned but also the difficulties the movement has to face in order to oppose the law. The debate for the need of an "anti terrorist" law has been started by the government a couple of years ago. All this period there has been a great pressure from US that were bothered by the large and many demonstrations against the imperialistic attack in Yugoslavia. Also the last period there were pressure from U.K. government because of the execution of the British diplomat from "November 17" organization. U.S. , U.K. and Greek government try to get the most out of the Olympic games of 2004 in Athens to make the Greek public opinion positive about the security measures for the guests of the games, as a first priority matter.
If we stay close to what the press wrote about it after "info" from the ministry of public order, the new anti-terrorism low, as a new law or a modified older one would include the following:
1. A new formulation of the notion of the terms "organized crime" and "terrorism"
2. The change of article no.187 of the penal code about "gang organizing" so to become "crime" instead of "delinquency" that used to be
3. The change of the composition of the court in terrorism cases so there will be no citizens for jurors
4. Increase of the penalties for the convicted for participation both in armed activities and in armed organizations.
5. favorable regulations for the "repentants" (traitors). Reduce of the penalties down to full release for those who reveal evidence to the prosecuting authorities
6. change of the 211 A article of penal code that indicates that" only the statement of a co-accused is not enough for the conviction of the accused
7. Abolishment of the article 227 of the penal code that obligates the witnesses to reveal the source of their information.
8. search for regulations to consolidate the DNA testing for the suspects
9. free of penalties activities for the undercovered policemen who enter the groups in order to reveal their action
10. Withdrawal of the top secret in communication for the suspects
11. Special regulations for those giving evidence. According to the other countries laws, people may act as witnesses with false names, modified voices or behind a screen.
12. A special service for the protection of the witnesses, fact finders, assessors and judges is established in parallel with special conditions for detention and transfer for the arrested.
In parallel with all these -with the advise of the "specialists" in "terrorism" issues and propaganda British agents - they set up political activities thus to change the existing "middle posture" of the society (that is terrorism friendly) and pass without big crackles not only the law changes but also the incident police peremptoriness. They have already started with the enforcement of one minute silence in the public services for the victims of terrorism, also with special spots and programs on the TV. On the ground of proposals that "leak" to the press we can say that the "antiterrorist law" they prepare is almost the same or more cruel of those voted in the past. It hasn't have the extremity of the others (for example the forbiddance of publication of declarations of terrorist organizations and full desolation of the accused rights) but it has elements that make it seriously dangerous.
The conversion of the offense about "gang organizing" so to become "crime" instead of "delinquency", may lead to heavy infliction for several fighters. This offense is very common against those arrested during demonstrations and clashes with the police.
The change of the composition of the court secures that the offenses proposed from police authorities will be spontaneously accepted. In all major trials that took place till now usually the exculpatory verdicts are taken with the votes of the citizens - jurors.
The regulations for the "repentants" (traitors) and the capability of the court to convict with only the testimony of a co-accused may lead to weird condemnatory resolutions.
The right of undercovered policemen who enter in "terrorist organizations" and their right to encrypt their informers, are going to lead frame-up cases that the earlier ones would look funny.
The legalization of follow-ups in co operation with the U.S , British secret services and any ones that happen to follow, are going to establish an enormous web of repressive activities that is going to "tag" a grate number of fighters of the Left and wider parts of the society.
Finally, we should not forget, that if the "anti -terrorist law" passes in a way of modifications to the present law frame -and not as separate law- then it becomes more dangerous and make it's abolition more difficult. That happens because it can be hidden better and also influence reactionary the hole frame of laws it is going to connected with.
Abraham Lesperoglou and the "antiterrorist" law
In Greece every time the governments got ready to vote an "antiterrorist" law. they used to arrest some fighters who were accused as members of armed organizations. In 1979 there was the arrest of a worker named Giannis Serifis, in 1990 the arrests of Giannis Bouketsidis, Rozina Berkner and Spyros Kogiannis and nowadays the arrest of Abraham Lesperoglou. These arrests are nothing more than attempts of the police and generally the state to convict fighters of the wide revolutionary movement and penalize many political activities.
Although police never succeed to prove that Abraham Lesperoglou took part in any armed organization, he has already convicted till now to 24 years in prison (3.5 years for illegal entering in Greece, 3.5 years for his absence to the army and 17 years for a clash with the police in 1982 that he never took part). He also haw to face a major trial with many accusations. This one is major for him because he is accused for taking part in the armed organization "Anti-state struggle" and also for taking part in the execution of a prosecutor and taking part in armed clash with the police were 3 policemen were killed together with the fighter Christos Tsoutsouvis and a super marker robbery.
"DROMOI" magazine, Greece